these past few weeks have left me feeling overwhelmed, exhausted and filled with anxiety. these three driving forces alone are enough to create a path of destruction if not attended to or cared for. at least for me anyway. overtime i have learned a few things that help when i find myself feeling all the feels and the heaviness that it tends to create.
first and foremost, s u r r e n d e r. surrender to the feelings. the process. everything. just simply surrender. i find when i fight the feelings, stuffing them and not admitting to what is going on, the harder i fall. the harder things are for me and the outcome is painful because i know that i am not being my best self.
once i’ve surrendered and come to the realization of it all, i am able to r e s t o r e and bring myself to a space where i can take action. here is what i do to help in times that i need to slow things down and settle the storm inside. i made this list about six months ago because working from home with my littles present is messy and it tends to leave my head spinning. it’s a constant juggling act but it is possible and can be done with the right support and care. i keep this list by my desk. i even made one small enough to tape on my computer so i always have it near by because i need the constant reminder.
01. catch your breath. BREATHE. take a few minutes to practice a slow breathing exercise.
02. re-evaluate your list of to do’s. BE REALISTIC. take 2-4 things off the list. if you end up with nothing on the list, that may be a sign to give yourself a break.
03. pull out the schedule for the week. is there anything you can take off or push of to a further date?
04. set the timer to do your work, emails, chores, etc. once the timer goes off, walk away and revisit again during quiet time.
05. blend something calming in the diffuser // for those looking calming essential oil blends; peace + calming by young living is a favorite. lavender + orange is another. peppermint and orange. bergamot is yummy too. yang-lang, frankincense, geranium, cedar wood, and roman chamomile are all wonderful too!
06. put on your S U R R E N D E R + R E S T O R E playlist and let the music calm your soul.
07. if you haven’t yet been outside, GO. get out there. feel the sunshine. take in the fresh air.
08. REPEAT on the days you need it